Sunday, June 17, 2012

Paranoia


Do you know what it is like to not understand the conversations your two roommates are having? I’m talking not being able to hear one of them talking to you because they are yelling from another room, or jumping into the middle of an-already-in-progress conversation and not knowing what the original idea was. I’m talking about never having any idea what is being said because your two roommates are speaking effing Bulgarian. I mean when they speak to me, they speak English, but they rarely speak to me. I’ve tried striking up conversations with them, but these attempts usually fall flat, and they are back to speaking only Bulgarian. So, I’ve kind of given up trying. Now I’m getting rather resentful and paranoid. Today, I came back from a trip to Walmart, and one of them (whose name I’m still not completely sure of, but it is far too late to ask) was talking to someone one Skype.  I kept hearing her say something about Walmart, and I thought she was using a sarcastic I’m-making-fun-of-you tone. Now for all I really know there might be a common word in Bulgarian that sounds like Walmart. Maybe she wasn’t referring to my recent trip to Walmart. Maybe she was taking about a Walmart coming to her hometown in Bulgaria. I kind of doubt it, but hell, what do I know. When living in a room where English speakers are the minority for two weeks, paranoia seems the inevitable result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment